As autumn settles in, we need to start preparing for the dark, cold months of winter. So take a few tips and keep yourself in tip top shape, regardless of the season.
- Take a Vitamin D supplement or eat foods high in D. It’s known as the sunshine vitamin because our bodies create it when we are in the sun. As the daylight hours get shorter, we don’t have as much time to be out, so a supplement can help. It’ll help you with your mood as well.
- Get that flu shot. Now is the time to get it before flu season really ramps up. On top of that, go see your doctor and get a check up.
- Boost that immunity with healthy food and exercise! It seems pretty common-sense, but for most people, it’s easier to stay up on your fitness goals when the weather is warm. If you have to workout inside, get a video program or use an app that will help you keep consistent.
- Make plans. Seasonal Affective Disorder is real and being cooped up inside is a big factor. To combat that, make plans with friends and family and stick to them. If it’s an active activity, even better!
- Moisturize your skin. The air gets drier as it gets colder and your skin will get itchy and irritated if it gets too dry. Plus, don’t forget the sunscreen. Yes, the sun’s UV rays are still affecting you even when it’s not July.
Most importantly, be kind to yourself! Listen to your body and give it what it needs, and don’t beat yourself up! Try reframing negative thoughts into positive ones and you’ll be ready for winter’s cold.